We are looking for a Chef with a passion for working with a healthy, child friendly menu for children with a focus on nutrition while following the Canada Food Guide. The successful candidate will be working at our New Westminster-Uptown school, located in the Royal City Shopping Centre.
The CEFA educational system at Core Educational & Fine Arts (CEFA) Junior Kindergarten is one of today’s leading approaches to educating young children. Its rich academic content is designed to stimulate the child in many different ways, to optimize the natural development of the child’s brain. This wonderful approach facilitates learning experiences for children in areas such as mathematics, reading, writing, drama, science, visual arts, music, yoga and many more. It is based on the belief that children must be given the opportunity to learn and exercise their intellect in various forms, such as the expression of their creativity, reasoning, and sequential thinking. In the CEFA environment, children have ample time to learn, play and express themselves in creative ways. Our full day early learning and junior kindergarten programs at our schools are far beyond the typical childcare programs found throughout Canada.
At CEFA, the Chef plays an important role, one that will have a permanent impact in the lives of the students. The Chef’s main objectives of the role are to provide excellent nutrition for the children’s school days.
- Preparing 2 snacks and lunch daily for all the students and staff
- Meal plan with supervisor, prepare and cook as directed meeting nutritional requirements
- Provide alternative meals for children that require accommodations (allergies or food sensitivity)
- Within approved budget, responsible for kitchen groceries and supplies ordering while working with approved Vendors
- Ensure the kitchen is clean and sanitary at all times – equipment, utensils, cookware
- Maintain proper temperatures of food and follow food safety and hygiene guidelines
- Be flexible and open to change
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure
- Knowledge of kitchen preparation, storage, dating and first in and first out
- Maintain inventory, portioning, waste and record of food, supplies and equipment
- Ability to cook from scratch
- Be available for catering school events
- Successful candidates will be punctual, well spoken, efficient, and have a passion for cooking
- First Aid Certificate
- Food Safe Certified
- Excellent communication skills – written and verbal
- Time management and organizational skills
- Culinary training and experience and working with large groups/children an asset
- Subject to criminal record check
Salary and Benefits
Expected start date: Immediate
Job Type: Permanent
Schedule: Monday to Friday (8 hours/day). Must be available for school events.
Salary: Negotiable based on experience (range $20-$22 per hour with 4% vacation pay)
- Daily am snack, lunch, and afternoon snack provided.
- Eligible for extended health and dental benefits after 6 months.
- Eligible for personal care days after 12 months.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please complete the form below and upload your cover letter and resume.